home

inside

outside

eating in

eating out

local attractions

history

map

prices

contact

 

The Buttery is a Victorian brick and knapped flint building with a thatched roof. Originally it served as the dairy for Berry Hall and was lined with slate shelves used for making butter and cream, and had decorative tiled walls.

In the mid 1950’s the dairy moved elsewhere and the building was used for storing apples and garden tools and as the estate game larder.

By the beginning of this century it was in a rather sorry state. We decided to completely renovate it and give it a new lease of life, restoring it as sensitively as possible.

We kept the tiles we could salvage, many hand painted, retained some of the slates and copied details such as the original pamment floors and the oak acorn finial on the roof. The windows were replaced with oak frames and there is a fine oak front door.


Living Room
Bedroom
Kitchen
Click any picture to view Rear Aspect     Facilities     aspect     Bathroom